Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Texan Christmas

This year I'll have my first (and maybe only?) Texan Christmas.

I don't think any of my blog readers are from Texas so I'll tell you a little about it.

A few days ago it was 80 degrees outside. There is never snow on the ground so something that is really popular around here are the yard decorations. I'm not talking about your typical string of Christmas lights either (though there is plenty of that too). What I'm talking about is giant Snoopy snow globes, reindeer, life-size Santa Clauses, "North Pole this Way" signs, and mini ski-lifts with goofy snowmen waving hello as you drive by. Perhaps if only one or two houses in the neighborhood had this stuff I wouldn't find it so darn funny. But everyone has the yard decor! It is so hilarious. The only thing I can figure is that the decorations are popular because snow-less yards are empty and sad looking during the holiday season.

Brian and I were driving around a bit and came to a really decked-out house. And out on the front lawn was a card table surrounded with 4 or 5 adults in Santa hats (probably a little drunk) watching the people drive by.

So as many of you sit cozily by the warm fire watching the snowfall outside, just remember what dear ol' Kayla is up against.

It may not be a white Christmas but even a Texan Christmas is bound to be good. I love the holidays.

3 comments:

Bethany Sines said...

hahahahaha wow. what a memory that will be for you. : )

Courtney and Tyson said...

Haha everything is bigger in Texas! Even the Christmas decor!

Jessica :) said...

Haha!! This is hilarious to me! A couple weeks ago I was looking through a magazine and saw a 6 foot snow globe on sale {though still pretty darn expensive in my opinion}. I asked Dan, "Would you put a 6 foot snow globe in your yard?" Questions like this keep a marriage alive, I'm tellin' ya! ;) He replied, "Nope. Not unless I was crazy." {Or something to that effect anyway. It's not like this happened yesterday...} So this post just really cracks me up!!
I think I would have a hard time not having snow on Christmas. It has snowed here just about every day this week and it keeps on snowing. I will *mentally* send some your way. :D