Sunday, March 29, 2015

The Cook's Lemon Cookies


Tonight we said goodbye to some friends in our ward that are moving to Spain. SPAIN! I'm a little jealous. What an awesome life experience. Brian has mentioned before using his time off in the summer to "live" in another country for a few months. It is a dream, and who knows maybe someday we'll make it happen...
 
Anyway, I offered to bring some treats to their farewell party before I realized I had no butter. (A side note: is it bad that I couldn't think of a single goodie to make that didn't require butter?) I looked around pinterest for some ideas and found a chocolate chip cookie recipe that used coconut oil instead of butter. I have a huge tub of coconut oil and so I thought I'd try my hand and baking with it. The reason I didn't use the recipe is because we also wanted to give some treats to David's primary teacher at church, WHO IS THE BEST PRIMARY TEACHER EVER!!! But she is allergic to cocoa so she can't do chocolate. Thus, I came up with this recipe for lemon cookies.
 
This seems like a good time to also express my deep and undying love for coconut oil. We use it as a moisturizer, for eczema, for our teeth, make-up remover, etc. So many great uses. I wish I would have discovered it a long time ago.
 
I knew these would be really boring looking so hot out of the oven I sprinkled some...sprinkles...on each cookie. They were hot enough that the sprinkles stuck to them and stayed put when they cooled. If you make these and try that out, make sure and do it while they are hot out of the oven or they'll just fall right off. I figure you could roll them in sprinkles before baking too and they'd turn out nice. Or there are lots of other fun ideas you could try to make them fun.
 
RECIPE NOTE: I would use coconut oil that is solid. If your oil is liquefied you can pop it in the fridge and it should solidify to where it looks like shortening. It probably works okay if the oil isn't solid but it might make the cookies flatter than they are in the picture. Also don't over bake the cookies. After 8 minutes they may seem doughy at first but once they cool they are a perfect texture. Let them cool on the baking sheet for a minute or two before transferring them to a cooling rack.
 

 

The Cook's Lemon Cookies
 
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
1 cup Coconut oil, packed
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Pure lemon extract
1 (3.4 oz) Lemon instant pudding mix
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
 
Cream oil and sugars. Add eggs, lemon extract and pudding mix. Beat together with electric mixture until well combined and smooth. In a separate bowl, combine flour, soda, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture until combined. Shape in to rounded balls, about tablespoon size. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes on greased cookie sheet.
 

 
 


No comments: