Friday, February 26, 2010

My Best Attempt at Vegan Cooking

The average American dinner consists of a hunk of meat, some kind of starchy food, and a simple side of vegetables...perhaps canned or frozen peas, green beans, broccoli, etc. (I'm making a lot of assumptions in this post so sorry if my stereotypes don't apply to you.) I'm good at making these dinners. No big deal right? But lately I have realized that my diet has been a little lackluster. Everyone wants to be healthy and vibrant and I have come to realize that the true key to health success is a proper diet and consistent aerobic exercise. This is what it will always boil down to folks. So to revamp my efforts to remain fit and healthy, I studied up on Veganism. My goal was to learn how to cook with vegetables because honestly, how many of us know how to use lentils, chickpeas, kale, and the like? So here are a few candid shots of my efforts. By the way, I'm a huge ice-cream monster so I could never be vegan. And I'm not against eating meat either.


My lovely Sweet Potato and Leek Gratin. Looks yummy right? Wrong. It was a failure. I couldn't afford fresh Rosemary so I used dried. And I forgot if you double the dried herb or cut it in half if you don't have the fresh stuff. I figured bold flavor isn't always bad so I doubled it. Ick. Every mouthful was full of dried, pine-needly rosemary leaves. Someday I hope to have my own bounteous herb garden which would have come in handy the night I made this.

Me making Couscous and Vegetables.


Success! This main dish was so lovely! I only wish I would have trusted that a meager cup of couscous would do the job. I think I settled for a cup and half. In the end, I felt the couscous slightly overwhelmed the yummy veggies. When will I learn to trust the recipe? This recipe featured spinach, green peppers, green onions, carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, and kidney beans.

I made this Coconut Cream Cake for my Mother-in-Law's birthday about a week ago. Definitely not a vegan recipe but still really tasty. I topped it with toasted coconut and heart-shaped strawberries for a little flare. I owe my love for cooking sweets to my mother, who as Brian claims, is the best treat maker there ever was. I also admit that I am quite proud of the last-minute strawberry idea. I had never thought of cutting a notch at the top to make them look like hearts until I made this cake.

10 comments:

Vivian said...

I absolutely LOVE cous cous. It looks very yummy, the sweet potatoes...I'm not so sure. It's always good to experiment though. Great job with the cake!

Jen said...

Hey, my sister-in-law's mother is Vegan, and they published a book about it. I think it has lots of recipes in it, if you are interested. http://www.amazon.com/Green-Diet-Mary-Jolley/dp/0984106820

Brian and Kayla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Courtney and Tyson said...

Good job! Those look so great and gourmet! Keep sharing your ideas! I hate veggies, but you've inspired me to at least "think" about trying some!

Jessica :) said...

Wow! You are amazing! I think it's great to learn how to cook with vegetables - someday I'll figure that out {of course, if I actually liked the veggies it would help but I'm not very good at enjoying my veggies!}. The meals look awesome - as does the cake!

Jen said...

Hey, I found out that the book I was telling you about has a website with recipes:
http://mygreendiet.com/category/green-diet-plan-recipes/

Happy Cooking!

Brian and Kayla said...

Thanks Jen! I meant to reply to your earlier comment with some interesting info. I actually got both of these Vegan recipes from Mary Jolley's book. I have read the book and Brian's parents are also friends with this family. Have you ever made this connection before?

its simple love said...

I love this! If you could post some recipes that'd be amazing! I am going to eat healthier and cook healthier when I get back from Peru. It's hard to healthy here.....

I hear you on the ice cream though. I could never live without the stuff. there is rice dream and tofu bars and the like. I have tried some vegan ice cream sandwiches and you could tell the difference but they were still tasty.

thanks for the comment on my post! And please do share the word about my blog. I would just love that :)

Rachael
itssimplelove.blogspot.com

Jen said...

What a small world! I had no idea about the connection. Are they friends with the Jolley's or the Beesley's? The Beesley's daughter Amy, is my sister-in-law. They are a great family!

Scott Ostermiller said...

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, as well. Scott and I both like meat a lot, so we would never make the whole switch to vegetarianism or veganism, but we both have decided that we need to make a change in our diet. I've been searching for vegan recipes that we can add to our menus, and I've found and tried a lot of new things. Some of them have been really, really good, too! And it's not hard to modify them so that they are still very healthy, but not totally vegan. It's worth taking the time to try, and so far, so good!
-Jennie