Thursday, August 12, 2010

Adapting to Motherhood


Motherhood is tricky business.

David is getting into everything. I mean it. Everything. I suppose this is no news to veteran mothers but I seriously didn't know that they would get into like...everything.

For example, David is pulling an old piece of floss out of the office garbage. Yuck.

I almost took pictures of the messes he has made but decided against it. They aren't flattering and make me look like a slob. He can take down my whole apartment in about 5 minutes.

The funny thing is I have gotten to the point where I clean up just so he can do it all over again.

Why would I do that? Because he is at an age where he needs something to do or else he'll hold on to my leg and cry until I hold him.

David climbs. The only thing weird about this to me is that he is only 9 months old. He doesn't walk but he can climb up the stairs on his own. He climbs on top of boxes, books, toys, etc. I'm totally freaked out for his future.

Motherhood is not easy and not for the faint of heart. The other day I actually watched a baby poop sideshow. Disgusting. But I was worried that David was not quite normal in that area. I'll tell you one thing right now...never submit yourself to watching picture after picture of abnormal baby poop. Yep. I'm scarred for life.

But motherhood has its perks. There is a lot to laugh at. You know how babies do that thing where they tense up their little bodies and it looks like their head are about to pop off? David loves doing that. I think it makes him feel powerful. He forces out these little baby words in a stream of grunts and his face turns bright red. He makes his hand into little fists like he really means business. Well the other day he was in the bathtub...standing up of course...and he did the grunt thing so hard that a little wet fart came out. I don't know what hit me but I thought that was SOOO funny. Probably because he put in a whole lot of effort for such a tiny noise.

HAHAHAHA.

Wow I have a lot to learn about this mommy thing still. But it is fun. Especially when I get those open mouth kisses that babies are so good at. It is such a joy to realize how incredibly important you are to a child.

12 comments:

Abby said...

What a cutie!! Those are adorable pictures! And you are so funny, Kayla!

Tuzi Salz said...

I want to hear the story about how you came across such a slide show...I have an notion that you typed "baby poop" into google.

Brian and Kayla said...

I think you're right, Tuzi. My wife googles some interesting things sometimes, and it usually happens when there's something weird going on with someone's body... :o) -brian

Alea said...

I love reading your blog! Kayla, you crack me up! And let me tell you, I can't wait for Clara to be mobile. Haha... Frankly, I'm scared. I've got some serious baby proofing to do!

Rachel LaVerda said...

thank you thank you for that super cute picture of him and his teethers. they are so blasted cute!!! um... i really wish you could just come here now. please. love you.

Courtney and Tyson said...

Such a cute little guy! He looks mischievous! (Ok I just learned by typing that, that mischiev-i-ous is not a word. Blows my mind...anyway...) there's always a hard stage! I think Easton's hard stage was from 12-18 months. Especially at church! The good new is, it always gets better!

Nathan & Marlese Seaver said...

ahh i fear that i am just about to enter into that stage of life. Connor has been such a mellow baby, but as you look at him you can see the wheels turning in his head and i know he is going to be really busy once he can really get around. He is just starting to get up on his hands and knees instead of army crawling. keep me posted on what i can do to stay saine :)

Gear Gang said...

Welcome to Motherhood, it only gets crazier from here on out!!! :)

Just watch out, because if he hasn't found the toilet yet, you are in for some major treats in the future.

Love you

Jessica :) said...

Ah, yes. The getting-into-EVERYTHING-phase. I'm glad I've had a few experiences with toddlers to help me prepare for that . . . but even with this "experience", I'm sure there is much that will surprise me. Love your post!

Bethany Sines said...

kayla you're amazing. if there's anyone whose patient and funny and can be firm but loving, it's you. i've seen it over and over again. but i've never been a mommy so i'm sure the challenges are so much different than any you've ever experienced so far in your life. i love reading your thoughts on motherhood cause you don't sugar coat it but there's still an over all tone of love for your little guy.

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

This totally makes me laugh! I remember when Jake got into this stage. I actually used to tell him, "No, No" and got frustrated that he didn't listen! Hahaha!

It is always best to distract instead of think you can stop them.

Kayla....careful with your googling! I am sure you are going to run across something MUCH more scaring than baby poop! :)

Brian and Kayla said...

Just for the record, I did not google image "baby poop". You gotta give me more credit than that guys...the slideshow was actually on BabyCenter. It was very professional...in a disgusting way.