Thursday, February 24, 2011

German Apple Pancake with Homemade Creamy Syrup

German Apple Pancake Recipe
I found the basis for the recipe on allrecipes.com and tweaked it just a bit. It is good as a spiced apple pancake or great without the nutmeg and less cinnamon. Adjust the spice to your liking (you can add cloves for example or omit the spices all together). We usually have breakfast for dinner every Tuesday and I love to find fun recipes to try. This is definitely a favorite breakfast recipe of ours.

3 T. butter
2 apples, peeled and cored
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg

6 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
1 t. vanilla
1 c. flour
3 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt

Melt butter in 9x13 pan in preheated oven of 400 degrees. After butter is melted, add the sliced apples and cook for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, blend together eggs, milk, and vanilla. Gradually add flour, sugar, and salt. Mix until just blended.

Take cooked apples out of oven and sprinkle brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg over the top of them. Pour batter over the apples and return to the oven for 25-30 minutes or until edges of pancake are golden brown. Serve warm with homemade syrup or whatever you like on pancakes. See yummy syrup recipe below.

Homemade Creamy Syrup
This is a great basic recipe for homemade syrup. Use buttermilk for a nice rich taste. I used coconut cream the last time I made this syrup and it was to die for! The syrup turns out thick and creamy, especially after it has cooled. The assembly is really easy so don't let the instructions fool you!

1 1/2 c. white sugar
3/4 c. **creamy liquid
1/2 c. butter
2 T. corn syrup
1 t. baking soda
2 t. vanilla

**creamy liquid = buttermilk, half and half, heavy cream, milk, coconut cream, etc.

In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, **creamy liquid, butter, corn syrup, and baking soda. Bring to a boil, and cook for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla. Serve warm and refrigerate leftovers.






4 comments:

Abby said...

Yum! I love German pancakes but I've never thought of putting apples or anything else in them. And I have a similar syrup recipe! I love using buttermilk! Thanks for sharing!

Courtney and Tyson said...

Yummy! The thing I love the most is that you have breakfast for dinner every week! What a great idea!

Lambourne Fam said...

Hey Kayla- I've got a little blog that I'm trying to use to gather and organize family recipes. I really need some "Cook side" recipes to add- would you mind if I used this? Looks tasty!

Cindy said...

I can't believe I have never made a German Pancake! Thanks for the yummy recipe--I will make make them this weekend.