Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Well, well, well

We just got back from another great Utah trip! Highlights included hiking the waterfall trail 3 times, fireworks, Hogle Zoo, baseball games, baseball games, and more baseball games, movie nights, homemade ice cream and popcorn and Chinese food, basketball in the driveway, car detailing, and swimming! It is always a little hard coming back to Texas because of course I can't help but think about how nice it would be to live near my family, but I also see how many blessings we have here in the Lonestar state. What started as Brian getting a masters degree at the University of Houston has turned in to quite an adventure. I never imaged the first 5 years of my marriage would turn out the way it has, but we truly have had some great experiences living here. Growing up in a close knit family with all of my married siblings living in Utah I just never experienced life outside of my comfort zone. Not only did we never move growing up, but I never really experienced visiting relatives outside of Utah/Idaho. After the masters degree I was more than eager to move back to Utah, but the job opportunity was here. Now Brian has just finished two years at Arnold Middle School and just accepted a job as a High School choir assistant in Spring, TX just a few miles down the road. Brian's parents are planning on serving a mission so we will be staying in their home for 2 years. Six years in Texas at that point! I just can't believe it!

I have definitely felt lonely and discouraged at times in the last 4 years but there has also been some great benefits to living here--I even made a little list of the awesome things:

-Members of the church here are really close to each other. There is a strong sense of ward family and most people truly depend on each other as you would family members. Not living near family has helped me reach out to others and make friends I probably wouldn't have made living somewhere surrounded by family.
-It is awesome talking to people about the gospel here. There are a lot of good Christian families in Texas and most people have a pretty good idea of Mormonism. Brian and I have both had some really awesome missionary experiences.
-Spanish! We use our language skills constantly here.
-The months Jan-April are just beautiful! So sunny and nice.
-Fine Arts. Brian and I have been to some amazing operas, concerts, plays. The culture in Houston is one that values the Fine Arts very highly. Next on my list is the Houston Ballet! Brian and I were able to sing in a choir called the Houston Camerata. It was such a fun experience for both of us.
-Brian's salary as a teacher here in Texas is one that provides us with a  comfortable standard of living. Teachers aren't paid enough in general, but Texas is one of the best states for teacher-pay in America.
-We've created strong friendships with people from totally different cultures and backgrounds. Some of our closest friends here are from Korea, India, and Brazil. We've had some really amazing Korean and Indian food! Some of the most thought provoking conversations I've ever had have been with our friends and I love learning from them.
-Since we live near one of the largest cities in America there is so much to do! Amazing museums, the beach, NASA...just to name a few.
-By living here I have spent a lot of time with Brian's parents and know them well.

Though I miss home and hope to return to the Mountain West in the future, I am grateful for our experiences in Texas and know that living somewhere out of my comfort zone has helped me become a better person. I think a good definition of a trial is when the unexpected in life happens and for me that was moving to Texas instead of Utah. It might seem a small thing for some people (what is a trial for one isn't for another) but living here has pushed me beyond what I thought I was capable of.

********
 
I'll post some pictures of our trip soon! 

No comments: