Sunday, March 24, 2013

Must...Keep...Blogging

Some days I really miss my blog. I used to update it so frequently... Around the time I finally got a FB account is about when I stopped posting often. So here's to keeping the blog alive!!!


This picture is the view from the front yard of my Utah house. Last summer I spent so much time outside...just breathing in the cool summer night air and gazing at the mountains that hugged the neighborhood I remember so well. I was in Utah a few weeks ago and I took a nice walk that turned in to a hike in the foothills by my house. It was so beautiful. I miss mountains. I miss open spaces and dry, cool air. I miss hiking! I miss mountain biking! I miss playing basketball with my family on the driveway. I miss these beautiful sunsets. I miss hilly, ragged, asphalt roads. I miss houses that don't conform, yards that need work, yards that are beautiful and unique. I miss houses painted pink and churches on every corner. I miss the familiar clank of my grandparents door when I walk inside to visit with them--the unmistakable smell of grandma's house. I miss seeing children playing and wandering the streets at dusk. I miss, oh I miss aspens--quakies as we call them. I miss the slow pace of an unchanging city. I miss Taco Amigo. I miss shopping at Macey's grocery store. I miss soft green grass that you can lay on. I miss the colors of fall. I miss driving up Battle Creek road--the familiarity of Mount Timpanogos and the thrill of seeing little blotches of red and orange on the mountains in late September. I miss seeing, watching, hearing hummingbirds--dozens of them at a time drinking nectar from our backyard deck. I miss the G on the mountain and the beautiful meadow even higher on the mountain that goes unnoticed by so many hikers. I miss my enchanted waterfall a short hike from my house. I miss running, biking, roller-blading the Provo canyon trail. I miss walking along the canal that stretches for miles in the valley. I miss gardening--being able to plant corn, squash, cucumbers and tomatoes straight in to the ground. I miss family. I miss children laughing, playing, screaming. I miss games around the dinner table. I miss ongoing conversation--opinionated, heated, caring...I miss father and mother, brothers and sisters, grandmas and grandpas, aunts, uncles, cousins, neices and nephews. I miss my dear Pleasant Grove...you never, ever change and I like it that way.



4 comments:

Jessica :) said...

I love your photo! It's so gorgeous. I think it would be hard to move away from family, especially to a place that is so different from what you're used to. I keep hoping for you that you guys will get to move back closer. :)
By the way, the pics of your boys on your sidebar are adorable! Gotta love David's face. :)

Alea Peters said...

Ahh... Your post brings back memories. But I have to disagree about the never changing part. I took a drive around a couple years ago and all I could say a million times over, "this is SO different!" The drag didn't used to be that big. That cul-de-sac used to be an empty field. That road is new. That building is new. That business closed. Where did all these cars come from?

...But I guess when you don't see a place in 6 or so years, things are bound to have changed. I'm pretty sure the picture you posted used to be an empty field, didn't it? Sometimes I'm overwhelmed with how fast life changes!

Tammra said...

I am at work and I am crying like a baby. I miss YOU! This is such a beautiful post Kayla. I love you.

-MOM

Emily Harestad said...

Kayla -

You are too cute. This post sure reminds me to be thankful for the beauty that is right under my nose.

You and your little family are amazing!