Thursday, November 3, 2011

Grocery Shopping

Last week at the grocery store I was approaching the check out in a pretty typical way. I was pushing a cart full of groceries, David riding in the car attached to the front of the cart, which of course had a broken lap belt. It was all I could do to keep him in the thing. I was holding Nathan out in front of me because he was screaming his head off which is usually what he does at some point during our shopping trip. I'm unloading groceries very slowly, using one hand at a time, when a red headed kid with a messy face, about ten I would guess, approached us. "LOOK AT THAT LITTLE GIRL!!!" he squealed. "What is her name?" Meanwhile, I'm trying to swipe my card with my one free hand to help the line along as the people behind me were understandably wanting me to get a move on. And thanks by the way, to those people for not helping me unload my groceries and just watching me in amusement. I tried to ignore this kid but he was persistent. "CAN I GIVE HER A KISS?" Woah. This kid meant business. I told him no flat out. And if I wasn't in a hurry I would have explained that we don't let kids kiss him on the face but that he could look from an appropriate distance. I kept dodging the boy who was getting ever closer to Nathan's face. I was swinging Nate out in front of me to the left and right while I was trying to find my debit card. Then his little sister got in on the action. She also thought Nathan, the girl, was cute. It was about this point that I wondered where their mother was. I looked around and found her, with a long red-haired ponytail, also juggling kids through the dreaded self-check out lane. She was brave. But short line so I could see her point. I felt her pain. She also had her hands full and probably could hear her kids talking to me but acted like she couldn't so she could just get out of there. So I go to swipe the card and WHILE I AM SIGNING MY NAME, the kid plants one on Nathan. Right on his face! Who does that? The oldest brother of a gaggle of cute red-headed kids is who would. Any I meant to include that on my way to the check out line, the sushi lady, with a thick accent, offered to hold Nathan while I finished my shopping. I politely declined. But she insisted on grabbing his hands and cooing in his face. I actually kind of liked it. I like that people like my kids.

NOW, this week at the store, I decided to ditch the type of cart that made me feel like I was a circus show, and chose instead a normal cart. It is one thing to push a normal cart with one hand, but have you tried pushing and steering one of those huge ones with one hand? Not easy. I put Nathan facing me in his car seat and stuck David in the basket. I have done this before and although difficult, we made it through okay. I foolishly took David to the store hungry though. I soon found out that he was tampering with almost anything I put in the basket. He took a bite of a banana with its peel on for pete sake! So I was strategically placing the food that he could damage in the small area around Nathan's car seat right in front of me. All the while I am breathing threats to David that he is going to have to sit up by me and not in the basket. So I was putting things around him that I thought were safe, cans of food, gallons of milk, etc. It wasn't long before David, who doesn't really talk well yet, was getting my attention "Daddy! Daddy! Hmmmmshlaaaa uhhhhhh." I tried to ignore him but after a while he started to whimper. I couldn't really see him over my mountain of food stuffed in the kiddy seat with Nathan included, so I walked around to the front to see what was up. Oh no. David had throw up all over his clothes and dribbling down his chin. My first instinctive feeling was guilt for getting after him so much. He obviously wasn't feeling very good. "Oh David. Let's get you cleaned up." I pushed my way to the side of an aisle and found a wipe. As I wiped him down I realized that the puke didn't smell sour like I thought it would. I looked around and found a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup halfway open and knew immediately that he didn't throw up at all. He popped the easy lid of the can and took a swig! And the worst part of all is that I didn't want to pay a dollar for the blasted soup! And I knew I didn't want to try and save the rest of it because it would spill all over my car.

I don't know what the point to these stories are. I guess for me it is that my idea of normal is totally different now that I have kids. I've heard stories like these before but never really understood how real they were. This is my reality. Do I love it? Sometimes. Is it hard? Oh yeah. Is it worth it? Absolutely. I love these guys so much. Even if they make things 20 times harder than they need to be.


11 comments:

Cami Eyre said...

I appreciate your honesty in sharing these sorts of experiences. Makes me feel like I'm not the only one who's ready for a nap every time I get back in the car after grocery shopping....and I still only have one (technically I'm carrying the other one around with me as well :)

Anyway, It's a very real perspective to be able to say "yeah...it's really hard sometimes...but I wouldn't have it any other way".

It reminds me of that saying that I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it.

Liesel said...

hahaha. grocery shopping is the worst with small kids. and that is exactly why i've started shopping at 9pm when the girls are asleep.

Bethany Sines said...

(Gulp) I don't know if I"m ready for that!! : ) It's so funny and humorous reading a mother's story of these kinds of things but then you're relatively normal, care free life goes on while hers just continues on the same challenging way it was in the story. I liked how you said "this is my reality". oh my goodness, I'm am SO in denial about ever wanting to have another kid!!! I totally don't feel strong enough for this kind of thing. I admire you so much!!!

Tuzi Salz said...

Awesome! I may have been a bystander...watching in amusement as you pushed the giant cart and played keep away from a crazy ginger kiddo. If it helps, Julia sits and says "Hi" to everyone

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

Oh my gosh! I was totally just laughing SO hard! I bet there is either a feeling of anticipation to find out what the next big adventure in shopping will be, or serious dread. There comes a point when getting up at 4am to get to the store while your hubby is home to watch the kids so you can go alone seems a bit more sane than the alternative! :) Hahaha! You will love reading this post someday sister and you will be glad you posted it! :)

Alea said...

Oh Kayla, I am absolutely DREADING these outings with two kids! I already avoid them as much as possible with one. This is why I stay home all day and we never have groceries!

Abby said...

Don't you just love shopping with kids?! Oh, I really had to laugh at this. Before Lilimae was born, I was absolutely mortified at the thought of my kids ever acting out or crying uncontrollably in the store. I didn't know what I would do or how I would handle them. Now I just smile and realize that every other mom out there can relate entirely to what I'm going through. It comes with the territory. But I wouldn't have it any other way, either. Sure it's hard. And stressful. And frustrating. And it brings out the worst in me sometimes. But at the same time I learn so much about myself and what my purpose as a mother is. And I love that.

I am getting a little anxious to shop with three kids, to be honest. Although Lilimae is at the point now where she will walk beside the cart and stay next to me, so hopefully when the time comes that I'll have three, we'll have that down pat and Lincoln can still sit up front with me and I can put the carseat in the back. We'll see! It will definitely be an adventure. Although I've definitely had those moments lately when I'm last in line at the bank and I'm seven months pregnant and holding Lincoln practically upside down because he wants to get down and I'm having contractions because of it and Lilimae is crawling under all of the barriers and telling me to ask her where she went. And in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "Someone let me go next! Please, for the mercy of my sanity! Give a poor pregnant woman a break!" And then I have to smile again and realize that all of this was my choice. And I love it.

Kamie said...

Kayla, just found you blog! Those are some crazy adventures grocery shopping. Man, being a mom is an adventure, and I only have one! You sound wonderful though. I didn't know you lived in Texas? What city do you live in?

Jessica :) said...

Oh, so not fun. I would not have been happy over the chicken noodle soup. And what a strong kid David must be! Sometimes I struggle to open those cans. I don't really mind shopping with Livie, but she's just one kid. And she loves to people watch so she usually sits so quietly staring at all the other customers while I shop so it isn't too bad. Unless I go when she's hungry. Then it is not so good. I've started a habit of goof shopping only right after a meal to try to avoid that and naps. Whew. Hard to find the perfect time. Anyway, I do not look forward to shopping with more than one child. I'm sure my experiences will more closely resemble yours than the peaceful ones I get now.
And that red-headed kid??? Holy cow! Some kids. Once we were at lunch at a Mexican eatery when Livie was not quite six months old. The proprietor of the place had his kids there with him and one of those kids was probably 3 or 4. He had a major facsination with Livie - and the runniest nose I'd seen in awhile! He also decided giving Livie a kiss was a good idea. But how do you chastise a kid who only speaks Spanish? And how do you ignore the absolute adoration in his eyes? You don't. You just hope your own kid doesn't pick up whatever he other kid has. Anyway, life being a mother is the best. Thanks for your stories! :)

wagstaffers said...

Wow, you are like a hundred times popular than me when it comes to folks leaving comments. I can understand why you have a following though. We LOVE you guys. I wish you were my neighbors.
As for the speech thing, I am no doctor but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I am always comparing the boys to other kids their age and start to wonder if they are more off track than what is healthy. They took a while to get talking. But each family has different dynamics and a different environment with kids that have different strengths and so on.
Love you guys!

wholesale boston said...

We have some similarities in the way we handle situations. I appreciate you effort for sharing your experiences.